San Clemente Girls Softball
updated February 8, 2008
Safety rules prohibit players from wearing any jewelry at any time during practice or games.
Sportsmanship : NO derogatory cheers will be tolerated.
Remember: We teach by example.
All rules contained in the current ASA official rule book relative to the administrative and playing rules, which apply to the 10U-Division, except where modified herein, shall apply.
1. Ball – 11”
2. Pitching Distance – 35’, both feet on rubber – no coach pitching.
3. Bases – 60’
4. Dropped 3rd strike rule is in effect and applies per ASA rule changes for 2008.
5. A batter/runner that has acquired 1st base by either walk, hit by pitch or base hit may steal only one base per pitch. If a player advances past the base they are entitled to, she may be put out between bases.
6. Runners may steal home. Batters in the batter’s box must be careful NOT to interfere with a play at the plate. Batters who fail to get out of the way can be called out for interference and the runner would then have to return to third.
7. Lead off – A runner may not leave the base before the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand.
8. Line-up – entire team bats.
9. Four (4) innings are needed for a complete game.
10. Three (3) outs or four-up rule shall constitute a half (1/2) inning. The Four-Up rule means only four (4) runs many be scored in any half of any one inning. Open scoring after (4) four complete innings.
11. Mercy Rule – 10 runs ahead after 4 ½ innings.
12. A pitcher is limited to (3) innings per game. Pitchers may pitch 3 innings per game. Should the game go to a sixth inning, a pitcher who has previously pitched 3 innings, may come back and pitch one more inning after the 5th. If it goes to a 7th inning, a second pitcher who has previously pitched 2 innings, may pitch the seventh inning. Seven (7) complete innings constitutes a complete game. Games tied after complete games will be recorded as ties in the League standings.
13. A batter hit by a pitch outside of the strike zone, shall be awarded 1st base. The batter MUST make some kind of attempt to get out of the way or else the pitch shall be called a ball and the batter will remain in the batter’s box.
14. The Infield fly rule will be used, however, “ordinary effort” will be closely monitored. If in the umpire’s judgment, a typical 10U player would catch the ball with minimal effort, “infield fly” will be called and the batter will be out. By ASA rule, ordinary effort is a judgment call for the umpire.
15. To avoid collisions, runners must slide or avoid.
16. Time limit – No new inning after 1 hour and 30 minutes. New inning starts as soon as last out of previous inning is made.
17. Coaches have free substitution. All team members, who are present at the beginning of a regulation game, shall play a minimum of two defensive innings during the first four innings of play unless injured. Each player will play at least 1 inning in the infield each game.
18. A minimum of seven (7) players are needed to avoid a forfeit. Players arriving late are placed at the bottom of the batting order.
19. Ten (10) defensive players may be used, four of which are outfielders. A distance of 20’ must be kept between infielders and outfielders. Outfielders cannot play infield positions when in the outfield.
20. All players must keep shirt tails tucked into their shorts and jackets must be buttoned/zipped up if worn. Caps, if worn, shall be worn appropriately with the brim facing the front.